Tuesday, February 26, 2008

jaipur

We are presently in Jaipur, gateway to Rajasthan (or so says the guidebook). That means we're almost in the desert. This seems right, there are lots of camels in the streets here, which makes me laugh like an idiot all the time because I think camels are so funny looking. There are also alot of monkeys. We climbed up a massive hill last night to visit a temple for nice views overlooking the city, and there were about 50 million monkeys. Creepy little things... one of them walked up and hit me. What a jerk. I think he wanted my water bottle. I try to avoid them, when at all possible. If the movie '28 Days Later' taught me anything, it's to keep away from monkeys.

Jaipur is a fun place, not much to do but shop, but this is pretty entertaining for me, despite the fact that I have no money to shop with. Lots of pretty bazaars and stuff though, it's enjoyable. In other news, Micah and I parted ways today. We have different plans for the last 2 weeks of our trip, so we've split up and I am going it alone for the next 2 weeks in India. I expect most of this time will be spent in Mumbai trying to get onto a Bollywood film set, but hey. It may or may not be the last I see of Micah in India... oddly, travelling in India you bump into the same people over and over again, because all backpackers hit most of the same destinations. For example, Micah and I met an Australian couple on the train out of Calcutta. I bumped into them again a few days later in an internet cafe in Varanasi. Then just yesterday, we met them again in the train station in Jaipur. It's so weird. It happens to everyone here. So who knows, maybe I will see Micah again. Or maybe not. In any case, I'll be extra careful on my own and try not to get on the wrong train or get bit by a monkey or whatever else. Train to Jodhpur tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Melanie, I can't believe you're still over there and on your lonesome now too. I read about half of what I haven't so far, it's easier to look at the pictures hehe, and Whoa you don't look that bad in a Sari or uhh Garb, not sure which ones which. Anywho hope you don't grow old over there.
Word of caution if you talk to Jenn, don't mention the Sens lol! Have you run into any of those lightning fast lizards yet, apparently it's like sacreliedge to hurt one cuz they keep the other pests down, especially the mosquitoes. Miss your smiles, even though you claim to not smile often, Enjoy the rest of your trip!!! o_O

Anonymous said...

You got monkey spanked!
Does that mean they're fighting back?

You should go to the rat temple too. Apparently, rat saliva has healing properties. Just ask the people who hang out at the temple. That is if you can get them to stop sharing their fruits with rats for a few minutes.

Or you can do that movie thing. They both sound like good ideas.

Professor Sanchez