Wednesday, January 16, 2008

london

We've been in London since Thursday. When our plane landed and was driving over to the docking area (what do you actually call that?) we drove past Iron Maiden's tour plane. Ooooh.

We're actually leaving for Dubai tomorrow, I've been a bit slow to update this week. We've done alot of sightseeing and shopping, the usual London stuff. We saw Phantom of the Opera. I've been gorging myself on cheese and onion sandwiches, and all the crisps and chocolate that I can't get back home. It's been a fun week, but I've been sort of bummed out because there were two people I really wanted to see while I was here, and neither worked out. So that depressed me more than it should have. I was also supposed to meet up with Jess, my old Ottawa roomie, and that didn't work out either. Urghhhh to all that.

We've been staying in a sort of sketchy hostel... well, sketchy is the wrong word, but I usually choose hostels of a slightly higher quality. Our room has 14 people in it, which might be okay except that I think 10 our of 14 at least are massive snorers and it's like a symphony of bullfrogs being crushed by airplanes landing. Tiffany has a cold and she's all congested and sleeping on the bunk underneath me so hers is loudest, haha. Another big negative to the hostel is the showers - not that I'm overly picky, cuz you know, it's a hostel, but there's very little in the way of space or privacy. Still, for all it's crappiness, I've gotten used to it and almost kind of like it. Almost.

Very much at random we bumped into Micah's cousin the other day (neither he nor his cousin knew the other was there) and so yesterday we went for lunch with her at a very fancy Chinese restaurant with a view of the London Bridge. I had a fortune cookie that said something about reality being a big hallucination. Tiffany's said "Keep your enemies close and your wallet closer." Good advice from a fortune cookie? Haha.

Anyway, Dubai tomorrow night, via Munich, so we arrive early Friday morning. It's going to be crazy. Will update more from there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating! I was actually starting to worry.

What did the tour plane look like? Was it blacker than black?

- Alex

Anonymous said...

Good news! The UK has internet!

Nice to read you're still alive and all that. Keep up the good work.

From one backpacker to another, have a fun trip and don't steal anything in Dubai!

Professor Sanchez

Anonymous said...

hey mel..

very pleased to read ur blog... and i thought u may have forgotten writing ur experiences about the tour.... u really r a scratchy lil choohi.....lol..... and don't irritate ur poor little partner.... and don't blame her for something that u r responsible of....lol.... and i don't wanna say anything about what i think about ur current state of mind and u know why is that so..lol....... but surely ur pranks on ur snoring partners were killing......lol... hope u be successful in ur mission.. and i hope the shiekhs don't force u to marry.....hahahahah.... bye

Anonymous said...

hey it was me zabir